and 1927, Jacques Doucet owned one of the first high
fashion houses in Paris, on rue de la Paix, where he
acquired his fortune through a wealthy clientele of
actresses and worldly women.
all do not call call him a couturier,
Mr. Jacques Doucet is a Collector ! Fémina magazine
and a perfectionist, he gathered several different groups
of works, drawings, paintings and furnishings, from
the 18th century to the avant-garde of his time. A significant
part of his collection is displayed at the Angladon
A benefactor of the arts, he provided funds for several
writers (Suarès, Max Jacob, Desnos, Reverdy,
Breton, Aragon...) and donated two libraries with several
thousand works and documents to the University of Paris.
These irreplaceable works are now part of the Jacques
Doucet Library of Art and Archeology, and the Jacques
Doucet Literary Library.
For more information on this subject, see the biography
by François CHAPON, former Director of the Bibliothèque
Littéraire Jacques Doucet.
His book, published in 1986, "Mystères et
splendeurs de Jacques Doucet", was re-issued in
1996 by Plon-Perrin with the title "Jacques Doucet
et l'art du mécénat".
DATES IN THE HISTORY OF THE COLLECTION
Jacques Doucet, born in 1853, buys his first works of
art: a marine scene by Monet and a Study of a dancer by
Degas. Doucet rapidly shows a strong preference for the
18th century and builds an outstanding collection which
is beautifully displayed in his Louis XVI-era private
mansion in Paris.
1906 the size of his collections brings him to prepare
a new home on rue Spontini next to which he founds a library
of art and archeology, which he soon opens to the public.
1912, he sells off almost all his 18th century works during
an unforgettable sale. Masterpieces by Manet, Van Gogh
and Cézanne now hang in his drawing rooms.
1913, his new home on avenue du Bois is the occasion for
many orders for art deco furnishings from Pierre Legrain,
Eilen Gray and Marcel Coard. A generous benefactor, he
helps artists and writers, funds research and publications.
He chooses André Breton as the advisor to the Literary
Library, and makes two stunning acquisition on his recommendation:
1922, The Snake Charmer by Douanier Rousseau (Paris, Orsay
1924, The Demoiselles d'Avignon by Picasso (New York,
As he adds to his collection of works by the best artists
of his era, he decides to build a "studio",
a true gallery of art in Neuilly, devoted to contemporary
art. The art deco setting is hung with paintings by Matisse,
Chirico, Picabia, sculptures by Zadkine, Idenbaum and
Brancusi, and strewn with rugs by Miklos and Lurçat..
Doucet only enjoyed this new venue a short time, for he
died on 30 October 1929. His widow, Jeanne Doucet, turned
to her husband's nephew, Jean Dubrujeaud, for advice on
managing the collection. For financial reasons, a few
sales took place, and in 1937, the cubist works by Braque
and Picasso were sold in New York.
Jean Dubrujeaud inherited the collection from Mme Doucet
in 1958, and in 1968 bequeathed the majority of his fortune
to his son, Jean Angladon-Dubrujeaud (1906-1979), painter
and engraver in Avignon. Jean Angladon-Dubrujeaud and
his wife Paulette Martin (1905-1988) donated some works
to museums (Louvre, UCAD) and sold others, and also made
The couple, both artists, had no children and decided
to leave their collection, through the Fondation de France,
to an Avignon foundation responsible for creating a museum.